Some days are better than others. Some days I wake up early, feel motivated, breakfast routines for four children go well, and I’m showered and out of the house and writing by 8:30…other mornings, not so much. These are 10 things that tend to make for a good day:
1) My wife and I roll out of bed (before the kids are awake) and she makes her awesome pancakes which I devour with real maple syrup and butter we buy at the local dairy
2) It’s not a bath morning for the kids so they haven’t used all the hot water and I get a nice, piping hot shower
3) I don’t get all hung up on the computer in the morning and actually enjoy breakfast with my four kids
4) I get 2-3 solid hours of writing in before lunch
5) I get to eat lunch with Maile, preferably curry or something else delicious that she made
6) I write for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and feel good about life (as opposed to feeling frustrated and distracted, both of which lead me to spend too much time on Twitter and Facebook)
7) A late afternoon that consists of an hour or two working outside, mowing or gardening
8) Some sort of epic sports battle with my older two kids, usually soccer (the goals are created with flip flops or tricycles that our younger two, Sam and Abra, eventually carry off or ride away on)
9) A dinner where all six of us get to sit down and eat together
10) An evening with my wife when the kids go to bed (and actually fall asleep), and the two of us talk about important things and the house is quiet and we listen to music and fall asleep with the ceiling fan on and the windows open.
What are the best things that happen in your days?