Now, as promised, Tuesday’s Top Ten:
Top Ten Breakfast Cereals
10) Chocolate Chip Wheatabix – unless you’ve lived overseas you’ve probably never heard of this flaky, honey-flavored cereal with real chocolate chips in it. I don’t know that I ever even took the time to pour them in a bowl and add milk – it was pretty much straight from the box into my laughing-gear. Go to Trader Joe’s and buy a box. You’re life will never be the same.
9) Fruity Pebbles – my wife’s favorite cereal. My 9th favorite cereal. We all know who is right.
8) Cookie Crisp – smaller-than-bitesized cookies floating around in milk? Are you kidding me?
7) Corn Chex – one of two non-sugar cereals that cracked my top ten. If you’re looking for corn-flavored crunch, it can’t be beat (and the criss-cross pattern really does lock out milk moisture)
6) Cinnamon Toast Crunch – cinnamon. cinnamon. cinnamon.
5) Cheerios – for those of you who know me, you’ll be very surprised that a non-sugar cereal made it into the top five. I actually considered the case for Cheerios being number one, as I’ve probably consumed more individual Cheerios than any other food on the planet . . . COMBINED. My mother used to tell me that I was going to turn into a Cheerio. I didn’t. Sorry mom. But I still love Cheerios.
4) Cocoa Puffs – should be illegal as a breakfast cereal, because it’s so good, and so chocolatey. It’s kind of like eating a Hershey’s Bar for breakfast. But eating chocolatey goodness for breakfast is not illegal, so it’s number four on my list. WARNING: high sugar and caffiene content – do not serve to small children anytime after 5:00pm.
3) Apple Jacks – talk about deceptive. There is nothing Apple about this. More appropriate names would have been Sugar Jacks or Radioactively Orange Jacks or So-Good-You’ll-Eat-The-Box-In-One-Sitting Jacks
2) Fruit Loops – once again, notice the deception in my top three: first apples, now a reference to fruit. Really it’s just pure sugar.
1) Lucky Charms – you just can’t beat a cereal with marshmallows. You especially can’t beat a cereal when the marshmallow to cereal ratio is 2:1.
Honorable Mentions – Frosted Flakes (awesome while they’re crunchy, which lasts about 10 seconds); Captain Krunch Berries; Trix (before they changed the recipe); Frosted Mini-Wheats
So what favorite cereals did I forget?