Before I get into the important part of today’s post, just know that I am now a tweeting twitterer. @shawnsmucker. I still don’t really know how it works. Or where these things go. But I’m giving it a shot.
Anyway, on to an over-140-character communique.
I love bubblegum. I think – I think – that if given the chance I could survive on it. Eating nothing else. Just bubblegum.
But while I won’t take the time to argue (or try out) that premise, the following are my top ten types of bubblegum, in particular order:
10) Bazooka – even though these small rectangular pieces of gum needed to be warmed up in your hands before they were soft enough to chew, they came with small comics to help you pass the time.
9) Juicy Fruit – for some reason, nothing reminds me more of childhood birthday parties than Juicy Fruit bubblegum. Go figure.
8) Fruit Stripe Gum – perhaps the most unique tasting bubblegum on the list, both for the actual flavor itself as well as for the absurdly small amount of time the flavor lasted. But since uniqueness counts for something on Top Ten Tuesday, I’m putting it at #8.
7) Big Red – this was my mother’s bubblegum of choice; I probably love this gum because its sugar-filled juice was leaking in through my umbilical cord when I was in the womb.
6) Bubble Tape – Bubblegum Flavor – what could be better than a gum that allows you, the childhood chewer, to decide exactly how large that piece can be (up to 6 feet)? Better yet, take the whole thing out of the package and simply gnaw out a bite-sized chunk.
5) Bubbalicious (Watermelon) – this is summer deliciousness in a small paper wrapper.
4) Hubba Bubba (Strawberry) – my affinity for Hubba Bubba gum comes from the fact that 1) it tastes amazing, and 2) Hubba Bubba was our family password when I was young – this was initiated in the early 80s and I think America’s Most Wanted was responsible. Did anyone else have a family password, or was my childhood stranger than I thought?
3) Chiclets – tiny, crunchy, chewy pieces of sugar-laced awesome
2) Big League Chew (Bubblegum Flavor) – nothing made me feel more like a real, live Major League Baseball player when I was kid than stuffing a bunch of this shredded gum into the space between my lips and my teeth, as if I were Lenny Dykstra and it was chewing tobacco. Nothing, that is, except . . .
1) Big League Chew (Grape) – a few weeks ago I had some Grape BLC for the first time in YEARS. Usually, when you experience or taste something from childhood that you always loved, there is something about it that has diminished or doesn’t feel quite the same. Fruit Stripe bubblegum is like this. Grape BLC is not like this. It was better than ever.
Trident – Cinnamon
So what’s your favorite bubblegum of all time?